a minute of my history

some thoughts on life and stuff

Monday, January 08, 2007

no excuses

I remember about a year ago that I used to make a lot of excuses not to go running. After 6 months of heavy-duty training, I realize there are no excuses to skip a run aside from torrential downpours or sub-freezing temperatures. And those are lame excuses at best.

"Its too cold" - Your body will warm up after a few minutes of jogging. (A hat and gloves are especially important as your head and hands have very high surface area to volume ratios. That means you lose the most heat through these body parts.)

"Its raining" - Rain is cooling, and running in mud is fun.

"Its dark" - Its also peaceful - be sure to be in a safe place, and be wary of branches, roots, and other stuff on your path and you'll be fine.

"Something came up" - Wake up 45 min early and run in the morning. You'll feel good all day and you won't be tempted to skip an evening run.

I'm not sure I'll be doing any marathons in the future, but I will keep running way into my old age. I may have to run with a cane, but I'll do it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home